Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Pride Cometh Before It

Praise cheeses, and pass the cheddar! Fall is here, and it means business. As I type this entry at 8:30 am on Tuesday morning, the temperature outside has warmed up to a toasty 40 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm not kidding, people. The Pacific Northwest has a different idea of seasonal transitions than the mild Southwest. While those of you in sunny So Cal are still enjoying those balmy summer nights, we in the north have already fully switched over to autumnal mode. The days here are still sunny and relatively warm (67, maybe), but our nighttime temps seemed to change overnight. Within one week of the autumnal equinox, our nighttime temps dropped about twenty degrees, as did our daytime temps, for that matter.
I am not complaining. This is exactly what I signed up for, and I really do enjoy it. What I find interesting, too, is that the climate in my office seems to match the outside climate. A few weeks ago, when I started in the call center, I had to wear single-layer short-sleeves or I would roast. Now, it's layers and long sleeves. Somehow, the folks in charge of climate at my office have learned to control the inside temps so that we remain comfortable in whatever we wore to get there. Why is it that every other office in which I have ever worked cannot seem to grasp that idea? It used to bug me that I would have to wear a sweater in the office in the summer because the A/C would be blasting right over my desk. I have to admit, despite my current lack of enthusiasm for my new position, I am quite impressed with the climate control.
With the cold nights, I am happy to say, the fall brings some new colors. Green, meet your colder cousins, Red and Orange. They'll be staying for a while. You won't. On my drive to the office, I pass through several miles of hills and trees. Those trees now have highlights. Their little tree stylist has been out and frosted their tips, and it's just lovely. Listen to me-I'm Katharine Hepburn suddenly. Lovely. Look at the loooons, Norman. That's actually a good thing, sounding like Kate. Her memoirs taught me many great truths, including the always helpful "One should pee whenever one gets the chance." How can one argue with such utter brilliance?
Lately, I seem to be getting picky about what I ingest. I am sitting in our gorgeous living room sipping a delicious cup of warm Peet's Major Dickason's Blend coffee. My mother has converted me, and there is no turning back now. I tried Starbuck's Pike's Place yesterday, which I used to love, and it was a sad sorry comparison. I ended up dumping half of it. I guess it's good that I finally am becoming a little more selective about my food and sources of caffeine. For example, I never drink soda anymore, unless, of course, it is to accompany popcorn at the movie theater, and even then I limit myself to six ounces or so. I also enjoy the occasional Hot Lips lightly carbonated organic berry beverage, but, come on, it's organic. All pure cane sugar, no HFCS. And I am helping out local growers and bottlers, thank you very much.
As usual, I seem to have veered off track. The subject was fall, and Portland knows how to bring it. We visited the symphony Sunday night, compliments of a neighbor who had free tickets. It was nice to see the inside of The Schnitz (the local nickname for the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall) and hear some Brahms. We left at intermission because the music was sleep-inducing, and we figured the people sitting next to us were tired of hearing us snore and removing our drooling heads from their shoulders. There were a few dramatic moments, but not dramatic enough. I'll take my theater lively, and scripted.
It is wonderful, though, that Portland offers so many opportunities for live theater and music. I don't think there is any night of the week when there isn't something going on within walking distance. We still have so many places we want to visit, but we may be here for a while so we can take our time. We already have tix to see August: Osage County when the tour comes in and Regina Spektor at the Roseland. Very excited about both.
I am also excited about spending the fall NOT working sixteen hours a day. This will be the first holiday season in eight years when I have not caroled, and the first in I don't even know how long since I was free of any theatrical obligation. I have to say, it's pretty cool. I get to just work my day job and spend my free time decorating, shopping, eating out, going to concerts. What a novel idea? Of course, you know I will probably be right back into a caroling group or theatre company for the holidays of 2010; but, for now, I am looking forward to really experiencing the fall and the holidays here in Portland.

No comments:

Post a Comment