Thursday, August 20, 2009

Eating Out

I think that if you try to avoid dining out in Portland, you are essentially defying the laws of nature. We have tried, semi-successfully, to be frugal since moving here; but when you have the assortment of dining options that we have, temptation is always at your door.
Yesterday, I had a yen for Indian food, so at lunchtime I headed downtown because I had read about a food cart called Indian Chaat that is very popular with locals. I failed, however, to note the location. It turns out there are many, many food carts downtown, and they are not concentrated in any one particular block. They are all over, as abundant as the panhandlers, the street musicians and the homeless people hawking Street Roots newspaper which I really should read because I have no idea how it appeals to anybody un-homeless.
I never found Indian Chaat; however, I did happen upon the Rialto Cafe where I scored a delicious veggie quiche and side salad for $6.00. Later, I went online to discover the location of Indian Chaat as well as two other Indian food carts. Even the food carts have a website! They don't have a permanent address, but they have a website!
Last night, Tommy got home from work and wanted to go to our local McMenamin's for dinner and a movie. McMenamin's is a chain of pub-movie theaters in Portland where you can go get a burger or a pizza and a beer and watch a movie in a very relaxed living room style fashion. That's a big motif here. Beer and lazing. It's not relaxing enough to sit in an air-conditioned auditorium watching a film. One needs an intoxicant and a carb-load while doing it.
Anyway, the flick was Star Trek which we have both seen, and I wasn't in the mood to see it again. Tommy seemed a little disappointed and went downstairs for a workout. Feeling bad, and hungry, I checked out the website of a restaurant called Mother's that our friends Amie and Chris had recommended. After drooling on my keyboard, I called to make a reservation.
It is not a cheap restaurant, especially when you add the pre-dinner martinis and the wine, but it is so worth it. I started with a Ruby Red martini which was their house vodka infused with grapefruit, fresh grapefruit juice and sugar in a sugar-rimmed frosty glass. It went down like fruit punch. I could have had three more. Don't worry. I didn't.
For dinner, Tommy had the fried red snapper with sauteed spinach and spaetzle. I had the...I need a moment as my heart is starting to race...okay...macaroni and cheese du jour which was fettucini with smoked salmon, whipped cream cheese and capers. It was rich delctable comfort food at its finest. I ate half of it and brought the other half home.
Upon receiving the check, which came with a slap of reality, I remembered that we are supposed to be on a tight budget and probably should have eaten at home. But at home no one would be cooking for us, or serving us, or cleaning up after us. And that just doesn't seem right. After all, isn't it our responsibility to keep people in the service industry employed? And what if all those other diners at Mother's had decided to be frugal last night. Where would Mother's be then? In the red, that's where. I think it's our duty as Americans to get out there and support our local restaurants. They want to cook for us! In some countries, it is considered shameful to turn down a gift. Don't deny someone the privilege of serving you. Get out there, America, and eat! Eat for the children! The children of that server who need a good orthodontist! Get out there and fix those teeth!
Tonight, we go back to frugality. No expensive dining out. McMenamin's, here we come.

1 comment:

  1. As I read this posting I sat at my desk, having just eaten a not-so-tasty apple and chewing unsalted trail mix. I wants something unhealthy SOOOOO bad now. Thanks A LOT!
    XOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete